Monday, April 29, 2024

Back on the Road

While my grandparents briefly resided in NJ, my grandfather biked everywhere around town when he didn't have access to a car. He has been gone for more than two decades now. I thought about him a lot while working on the bike.


First order of business was taking everything apart and seeing what I had to work with. The wheels were the biggest task. Thankfully the rims were in great shape but the tires definitely needed to be replaced, the rubber was literally disintegrating as I removed the wheel from the bike. 


I was also expecting to replace both inner tubes as well but ended up only needing to buy one new. I didn't have any special tools like a tire lever so used my fingers to shove the new tires and inner tube back into the rims. My fingers ached afterwards...but it was so worth it. I still have to put on new handlebar grips but I was too excited and the weather this yesterday was too perfect.  

It was rather sentimental to put my grandfather's bike back on the road again. We did a few test rides both days this past weekend and it worked like a song. I will also be putting together a product review for T's new bike seat. We got so many compliments on it and I have thoughts to share as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment