Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Baby Boy C



My little guy arrived on November 9 at 10:14am, weighing a solid 8lbs 6oz. After a 3-day hospital stay, we have been recuperating and bonding with lots of newborn snuggles at home since then. 

The weeks and days leading up to C's delivery were super tough on me emotionally as I struggled to come to terms with a scheduled c-section due to C being breeched at 32 weeks. For two months, W and I tried everything to get him to turn but he was stubborn to the end (...maybe perhaps much like me in a lot of ways.) The procedure itself was textbook perfect though and recovery has been relatively smooth thankfully.  I'm still mentally coping with how things ended up but in this process, I got a jumpstart on learning one of the biggest lessons in parenthood: Things rarely go according to plan. 

It's been three weeks since we got home and I'm surviving motherhood so far. The feedings at 3-4am are the toughest part but all in all, C has been a good baby. I have my final post-op appointment with my health care team in about 3 weeks and if recovery continues to go well, they will give me the all clear to return to full activity...which will definitely include some much needed saddle time with my best mareface.  

Nine months away certainly feels like an eternity. Though as much as I want to rush back into the swing of things to make up for the time lost this past year, I'm trying to remind myself to slow down and enjoy the moment- which includes giving Quest the winter months off as I've done so in the past and pick things up in late January/early February. I've been chatting with a few equestrian moms on FB and their experience has said the same. So as the nights grow longer and the temperatures colder, I'll enjoy the newborn days before they come and go in a blink of an eye. 

6 comments:

  1. What a cutie! Hope the winter is full of the happiest snuggles for you and C and W. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we're doing well and staying warm!

      Delete
  2. I think I already said congratulations on other social media, but here I go again: congratulations, he's beautiful!! I'm sorry your birth plan didn't go to plan, but I'm glad both you and he are healthy. Enjoy those newborn snuggles. It's certainly the right time of year for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dom <3 And yeah, it was rough accepting it at first since I'm definitely a planner but things do work out for the better!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your lovely baby! I'm sorry that the birth was more complicated than expected but it looks like you both came through strong. I don't have any kids of my own, but I've heard postpartum can be tough so hang in there. You're awesome. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I really appreciate the vote of confidence <3 In hindsight, I'm grateful for the experience and glad it ended up being the best plan!

      Delete