Tuesday, November 1, 2016

OF Turkey Trot

Since I started riding three years ago, I've always wanted to be part of a barn community that actually DID fun things together- Not just talk and plan, but actually follow through and do the fun thing. I'm an introvert by nature so nothing will ever replace the satisfaction and contentment I get from hitting the trail solo but I won't ever deny or turn away the opportunity to enjoy horses in like-minded company.


This past weekend the BO and his daughter hosted a fun scavenger hunt pace at the barn to celebrate Halloween/Thanksgiving/autumn. The event was very low key and since the pace time was based on a slow walk, I was comfortable that it was safe to participate with Quest.

We partnered up with JA and Lucy and both agreed beforehand that we would ride in costumes (which was highly encouraged). The night before the pace, everyone got emailed the instructions and ride order. To our bemusement, JA and I were assigned to go first at 9AM- it was a little curious why the two newest boarders (JA had arrived in March) were given the earliest start time. Maybe because of the fact we had the highest chance of getting lost and sending everyone else off on the wrong track? lol

Despite our newbie-ness, JA and I worked really well together. Quest and Lucy got along fine and paced each other nicely. We found all of the clues and only one of the riddles completely stumped us at first- we eventually puzzled it out after a detour but the confusion cost us too much time in the end. To be honest I wasn't too bummed since all I really cared about was having a good, safe time with my mareface in our first "competition" since her injury.

Kudos to anyone who can guess what our costume is!
The scavenger hunt put Quest on new trails that we had not yet had a chance to explore together and the mare was rock solid. She didn't even pause at the scary things that apparently spooked other horses (who have been at the barn longer than she has) that day. At one point during the pace, we were passed by a horse on the trail jigging to get back to the barn- Quest paid him no mind and plodded along on a loose rein minding her own business.

OF is certainly no WSS but for now, we will make do with what we have and take our time with lots of long slow distance walking. JA knows of a lot more places to ride and is more than happy to show me the trails. I'm excited to see what other things the new barn has to offer (:

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Close! It's from a comic called Attack on Titan

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a total blast!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super fun, even better since we didn't have to leave the property haha

      Delete
  3. I'm so so happy Quest is doing so well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I'm so grateful just to enjoy the trail together again! Keep up hope, sending healing vibes for your Q

      Delete
  4. A scavenger hunt on horseback?? That sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SO fun, first time I've ever done something like this before. It was the perfect way to meet other people at the barn plus get a little friendly competition going.

      Delete
  5. I'm thrilled that you and your Mareface are out and about again, adventuring together! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! <3 Taking each day one at a time but I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds for us

      Delete