Sunday, April 12, 2015

My Lesson Pony

My heart is literally bursting with happiness over my saint of a mare.

My sister, who currently lives/works in NYC, decided to come home this weekend. She was actually the MORE horse-obsessed one while we were growing up with all the books, calendars, movies, etc. As the years passed, the obsession was obviously tempered down but I could see that she was still interested in horses and asked to come out to the barn with me for a ride on Quest. This incited my parents to come along as well so after a quick breakfast we all piled into the car and I drove us out. Family trip! Quest, as usual, was a muddy mess when I fetched her from turnout. I was glad for my sister’s extra hand and we made quick work of grooming. I tacked Quest up and we headed into the dustbowl to lunge and review groundwork. My parents stood outside the fence watching while I worked with her commented that Quest had a lot more muscle and wasn’t as skinny thin when they first met her back in December. Riding through the winter months has not been in vain *fist pump*

Knowing it usually takes around 10 minutes to warm up for Quest listening and ready to work, I hopped on first to check that I had a sane horse. To my absolute amazement, mareface was on her game from the moment I swung up into the saddle. Walk, trot, canter. She was nothing but perfect.

My sister who only wanted a quick pony ride instead got a 45-minute riding lesson.We both did the summer camp lessons together when we were in middle school so she knew a little bit about riding but was still very much a beginner like I was a year and a half ago. Quest behaved like a seasoned lesson pony the whole time, no jigging, no spooking, nothing. She quietly packed my sister around the windy arena as I coached her on the basics of position, seat, leg cues, posting, two-point. Most of the lesson was done on a lead line and lunging circles but at the very end I let them off lead for my sister to practice steering on her own. Quest was an absolute saint and infinitely patient as my sister learned. 

I hopped back on afterwards for a quick ride to finish the day, my heart just about ready to burst with pride. My mare really took such good care of my sister and almost as if she knew she had to be on her best behavior, there were no antics, no fights, just quiet cooperation. My sister had a great experience and is looking forward to more lessons. Sounds like I might have rekindled some old interests!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. She really was! Now only if she was that good consistently haha

      Delete
  2. aw Quest is such a cool horse - looks like your sister had a blast too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister said afterwards that she could definitely see why I loved riding so much (: Must spread the craze

      Delete
  3. What a good girl! It sounds like all of your work with her is really paying off :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope so haha Some days are better than others!

      Delete