I saddled up on Saturday and then rode bareback on Sunday. In addition to rides, our very close encounter with an ATV last week has inspired me redouble efforts to do spend more time doing basic desensitizing obstacles on the ground. We did a ton of groundwork stuff when I first bought the mareface last year but that fell to the wayside when trails and riding goals looked more "exciting". Not the right mindset to have! But it's really all too easy to get swept up with fun and neglect to review the basics.
Fortunately for us, Quest was supermare and didn't lose her mind completely despite how scary things got. There's always room for improvement though so my barn friends and I have been finding everyday items to fool around with at the barn. We're also making plans to build some obstacle courses so that should be something to look forward to.
The horses got round 2 of spring shots yesterday so I didn't plan on riding. I had rode Quest lightly a couple weeks ago after round 1 and she was cranky and sore. It wasn't fun for either of us so I have made a note to give her shot days off from riding to just do groundwork and lunge. It had been pouring rain all day yesterday meaning no turn out so when A and I got to the barn, both Smokey and Quest were ready to stretch their legs.
|Aww moment. Picture taken by A|
Random side note(s), I am pleased to report that my DIY paracord reins have been holding up great after riding with them exclusively for over a month so I'll be posting up a tutorial and review on that soon. I didn't want to tell people how to make them just to have them to break on first use...that would be pretty awful. I also have another DIY horse project in the works that I designed to craft and test out, so keep a weather eye!