Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Moving Day

Barn moving day came and went uneventfully. Last minute, manager J told me that her hauler would be able to meet us at 8am instead of the originally agreed upon time at 1pm. It's kind of a huge time difference...but we made it work. 

I've done every move on my own in the past but with how massively huge I am now, I requested W to come along to help carry my tack trunk and other things. I really can't risk a fall especially with how close we are to the finish line. My wonderful husband already anticipated my request and was happy to help thankfully. With groggy C along for the very early morning adventure, we got a quick on-the-go breakfast and arrived at the barn with time to spare. The hauler arrived a little before we did and was ready to load whenever we were. 

W grabbed my stuff while I took care of Quest and led her to the trailer, a 2h bp with ramp. Mareface hesitated midway up the ramp but within 10 seconds she followed the rest of the way in without a question. After a thank you and big goodbye hug with T, we hit the road and arrived at the new barn in less than 20 minutes. 

Quest hopped off the trailer alert and attentive, and I walked us over to her new pasture with barn hand M and pasture mate, a QH gelding named Bert, leading the way. Mareface trotted off and after about a minute of that, she decided that she was more interested finding a nice place to roll. That being accomplished, it was time to immediately stuff her face with hay. 

It was the most boring move day ever and just the way I hoped it would be. Manager J has been giving me updates throughout the weekend and Quest sounds like she's settled right in with no drama. 

It never ceases to amaze me how far along mareface has come mentally since I pulled her from the feedlot all those years ago. Back then she would have been a lathered mess from a trailer ride but nowadays she is just attentive and settles down within minutes. I'm hoping my gut is right about the new barn move and things continue to go well.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the move went uneventfully, just the way it should be.

    ReplyDelete