Thursday, September 19, 2019

Tenacious

The road to achieving any dream worth having is never easy.


With things finally settling down into an even-ish keel and routine, I have been brainstorming how to tackle distance goals with Quest. W has been entirely supportive of me riding, hauling out, doing events so no worries on that front.....but we also needed to be mindful not to break our budget especially since we got something called bills to pay. Yay for married adult life and homeownership.

First order of business is fixing up the old stock trailer and ensuring it was roadworthy and horse-safe. It was a little junky when I first got it which sort of put me off from immediately hauling out but it was still fine for stationary stuff like self-loading practice. Two years later, the trailer is now in desperate need of a facelift so W and I have been spending time during the weekends at the barn working on sanding out the trouble rust spots, treating them, and painting. It's coming along decently and though looks a bit redneck in some places, it will be thoroughly protected from the elements with a fresh coat of paint and may last us just a bit longer until I can save up for something newer and better.

I searched around for trailer shops to get quotes and timeline for scheduling an appointment and found a place that wasn't too far away which is good (low mileage = lower truck rental cost). The technician I spoke with was very professional and courteous however they have a 2 to 4 WEEK backlog queue. Ugh.

I put myself on the list for the time being but this definitely threw a huge wrench in plans to haul out this month or anytime soon and unfortunately, we're back to square one....No trailer, no hauling. It's frustrating being grounded like this but as we have done for the past 5 years, we will make the best of the situation no matter what.

That face <3

Quest and I have been enjoying our evening rides together. We hit the trails first to enjoy some of the quickly fading sunlight then headed in to the indoor arena for some sustained trotting/cantering and dusted off the cobwebs for basic dressage stuff. Mareface was definitely a bit rusty in the latter (and so was I) but we ended on a good note.

I admit I was definitely a bit distracted during the arena ride- my mind was busy trying to think of what options were left to try. Despite the setbacks, I haven't given up quite yet but it's been hard staying positive.

7 comments:

  1. Stick with it, you'll get there. I saved and saved for my truck and trailer, found both very used but totally serviceable. Is there no one else at your stable who trailers out? Even if it isn't a conditioning ride, just for the practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! And there are 2-3 other people who have their trailers parked at the barn but they don't haul out often or do they do ride trails with the "enthusiasm" like we do lol I've been reaching out (again) to local endurance riders so we'll see.

      Delete
  2. aw that's frustrating about the backlog. hopefully that time flies tho!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I heard that and it was like ugh, no ): We've got trails at home at least for the time being

      Delete
  3. I feel your frustration. I had no truck OR trailer when Ozzy and I started trying to get into distance riding. I'd love to share some of the connections who helped me on my journey back then, but they've all since stopped competing around here, which is not very helpful. I do super hope that I'll be seeing you out there sooner rather than later <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO incredibly tough not to be mobile and it would have been such a godsend if your previous connections were still actively competing. A lot of wonderful AERC people in PA have been so generous with ride share offers but we're just too far for it to be practical ): Though I hope to see you soon as well! ...Just don't mind the puddle of victory tears I'll be when we finally actually make it to a ride.

      Delete
  4. I feel like things always seem to take less time than originally anticipated so hopefully that day your trailer can get worked on pulls up quickly!

    ReplyDelete