Tuesday, November 7, 2017

On the Up & Up

It was my birthday yesterday! I celebrated by taking the day off work for some needed for self-care and to indulge in whatever I wanted to do.


As a result, I got a very nice three-day weekend and appropriately started it off with a visit to the barn accompanied by C and W. Quest got a nice grooming session treatment and wormed.  She was well behaved for everything and stood patiently. The weather here is definitely getting cooler at night so her winter fuzz was coming in strong.  

A couple weeks back, the vet stopped in for follow-up visit and it was good news.

With the correct shoes now, the mareface is MUCH better. She was not getting the correct support from the previous set of shoes so now we have upgraded to fancy ones. According to the vet, it’s made a significant difference so I’m glad at least something has helped.

It was tough not to get down on myself for not addressing her club foot sooner but I'm trying to be proactive about learning and self-educating. A couple months ago someone on the AERC FB page posted a question about her endurance horse with a front club foot.  Reading her story and the comments helped me see that not all hope is lost for Quest and me. With proper hoofcare and management, we'll be a force to be reckoned with. 

And so far things continue to go well. The shoes are working out and Quest continues to happily motor around in pasture. Hopefully in another couple months we’ll be back to (slow walking) undersaddle shenanigans.

5 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Glad things with Quest are on the right track. I must have missed a post about the club foot. Henry has sort of a pseudo-club foot on his right front... it grows more straight up that his other but he gets around just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday indeed! And yes, it is a forever learning process with horses. Every 6 months or so I tend to have a horse-related epiphany that causes me to wonder how the hell I hadn't learned something sooner! You and Quest WILL be a force to be reckoned with, and I'm so happy to hear you note that =) Happiest of belated birthdays to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy bday and glad the new shoes are making such a positive difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! So frustrating that it is one thing after another! Sounds like you're making progress though. Hopefully she be good to go soon and smooth from here on out!

    ReplyDelete