Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Another Hiatus

I guess distance riding wasn't meant to be this year.


Last week I pulled Quest out of the pasture to do our usual midweek speed terrain work. She looked a little funny walking down the hill so I had her trot out in a flat section of pasture and immediately called it quits.

She was lame. 

I checked her suspensories first and they are fine, thank goodness. No idea how the lameness happened but we've been getting quite a bit of rain and mareface does love her joy runs. I've arrived at the barn a few times in the past to see her galloping through the field, drinking the wind with tail flagged in the air.

I contacted the vets (yes, plural because the first two didn't have time to see my horse) but either or, I'm tossing her in pasture to let time do its work. Again. 

I'll be honest. I was angry and frustrated for a few days following but negative emotions does no one, especially me, any good. It's just sheer bad luck and we'll get over it. This does have me rethinking our long term goals though and I won't rush her recovery for the sake of the ride in October. We'll have to see what happens next.

6 comments:

  1. Aw, so sorry to hear this Grace! Hoping it's something mild and you'll be back at it sooner than you think. Don't let it get you down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I feel you. That's rotten luck, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! How frustrating! Hopefully it will be something easy and fast healing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry. Hoping it is mild and you can get back at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn, I hope it is minor and you're back out there soon!

    ReplyDelete