Monday, October 19, 2015

Windy Hollow Hunter Pace

Quest and I did our first ever hunter pace together this weekend and it was SO fun!

Happy mare and happy me <3

With the stifle injury hopefully well behind us, we have been working hard every weekend since then to get good saddle time and mileage on the trail. Schedule differences have prevented us from riding with J and B this whole time but the solo trail ventures have helped me and Quest gain confidence in each other. She is still alert of her surroundings but there is less tension now and more curious interest- a minute difference, but a pretty huge deal in my opinion.

When I gushed to J how well the mareface was doing, she suggested that it was time to up the ante and see how Quest handled a few more “realistic” ride competition settings. With that, the Windy Hollow Hunter Pace was scheduled to be our first ever away-from-home trail ride.  

In the days leading up to the event, I was excited but nervous too. Quest has improved SO much mentally since I first had her and as eager as I am to get ourselves active and competing on the trail, I wanted to make sure it was a fun experience for her too. Almost if to assuage my worries, our ride on Saturday went particularly well- we did another solo 8 miles and trotted everything we could. Towards the end of the ride, we passed another rider on the trail who was working with a cute 5yo chestnut gelding. He asked to tag along behind us on the trail; Quest didn’t seem to mind so we helped pull them along and dropped them off at their barn. Even though Quest is still green herself, she acted like a trail veteran and power trotted past all the “scary” things without hesitation. We were moving at a good clip/our usual trot pace too- I could hear the gelding behind us cantering from time to time in order to keep up!

When I arrived at the barn the next morning, I finally got to meet the other boarder M who owns Remy, a cute stout buckskin QH mare. We chatted amiably together while we got our horses and tack ready and waited for J, B, and J’s husband P to show up with the truck and trailer. They soon arrived and while the trailer was readied, we got the horses fed and ready to load up. J told me to lead Quest on first- she stepped up without hesitation after me. Good mare! Next was Remy, then Pedro (J’s gelding pony), and finally Soup (B’s warmblood mare). Everyone on, everything packed, we hit the road.

The drive took about an hour and went by quickly since we were all chatting away. M talked about her job which involves art so that was super cool to learn about. And B told us firsthand about her AERC Nationals experience- which by the way she and Maddy won, got Best Condition, and tied for High Vet Score. Pretty awesome!

When we arrived at the hunter pace, we went to the tents to get signed up in our teams and pay. Quest and I would be riding with B and Soup in the Open division, while J would take Pedro and team up with M and Remy in the Hilltopper division. Then it was back to the trailer to unload and tack up. Quest was a little sweaty but definitely NOT a lathered mess this time so I’ll count that as a win. Once off the trailer, she was eager to graze so I think that's another win. Tacking up and mounting up was definitely a two person job this time though- probably 30% standing still and 70% moving around. While the latter wasn’t too unexpected, I’m hoping it'll get better in time since that'd make my life a whole lot easier.

Everyone all mounted up, we all set off for the starting area. In a few short minutes B and I were given the okay to move down the trail. Quest was definitely feeling good and moved out in her power trot. Soup and Quest matched each other very well in pace and we had zero issues efficiently weaving through single track forest paths and along cornfields surrounded by gorgeous autumn foliage.

Riding the fields of corn- A first for us and no problem for mareface
The trails were very well marked with plenty of ribbons and signs
Pausing for a quick snack while humans pause to take pictures.
I was very glad to see this!
There were a few rather steep hills that I was dubious about doing at anything but a walk but Quest powered up every climb at a trot or canter with ease and energy. This was definitely a side of her that I have not yet seen before so that got me very excited. The only hiccup we faced the entire day was the cows. Fields and fields of horse-eating cows  meandering along the trail. Poor Soup, who had been leading the whole time, had quite a meltdown so Quest took the lead to get us past them.

B and Soup did the jumps while Quest and I happily took the go-arounds...Though I sincerely think Quest would have had no problem jumping if given the opportunity because she seemed to "lock on" to the jumps and I felt pretty bad telling her no each time. I guess we're going to go play with jumps soon. Very soon.

My absolute favorite section of the trail was also the most terrifying part. A little more than half-way into the ride, the trail opened up along a stretch of pristine green rolling pastures. B and I started to canter, no problem there. Then I saw B and Soup move ahead even faster. I felt Quest click into a gear that I had never felt before and suddenly we were moving faster that I've ever gone. 

I've NEVER ridden a gallop before, let alone on hills going both up AND down, and we were literally charging up and down those hills. I was rather preoccupied making sure I didn't lose my seat or stirrups. But I did indeed survive. Quest never felt out of control but the speed was both absolutely thrilling and terrifying all at the same time. I went back to check my GPS later and we apparently got up to 23mph!

We galloped the hills behind the trees
Walking at a much more sedate pace after.
The rest of the pace went by rather quickly after that. Endomondo on my phone started late and cut out before the end so I'm guessing the total distance was around 7-8 miles. I was a bit surprised by how short it was since I was actually enjoying myself and Quest was eager to keep going. There was a steady wind blowing the entire time though so B and I was more than happy to hide away in the LQ to warm up after we untacked the girls at the trailer, got their coolers on, and grabbed a bite to eat. We chatted away while waiting for J and M to get in and it was neat to hear about B's experiences doing endurance and some pretty exciting plans in the future. This entire time Quest was tied outside to the trailer alongside Soup with zero issues. Good mare.

J and M got in about 30 minutes after we did. Since B needed to be back home early afternoon, we didn't hang around much longer then needed. All present and accounted for, we packed everything back into the trailer and loaded up. Quest was good about loading and unloading again. I checked her feet (she handled the trail with no problems barefoot) and let her back out into the pasture after she got her lunch.

All in all, I'm very happy with how the hunter pace went. Quest did much better with the trailering, she was responsive and listened on the trail, and was calm about hanging out tied to the trailer afterwards. She stayed sane, safe, and I could not have asked for a better result for our first ever off-property trail ride.

12 comments:

  1. WHAT you've never ridden a gallop! I've never galloped down a hill, but thaat's crazy! Glad you got to experience it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hand-gallop yes but a flat-out gallop nope haha We never had enough room before to seriously get up to that speed but it was SO incredibly fun though!

      Delete
  2. Wait, wait, wait, waaaaaittttt.....YOU BOARD WITH BRYNA??? You rode with her family???! OMG Grace! That is SO FREAKING AWESOME! We watched her and Maddy make history when they won the OD 100 last year!

    So happy you had such a great outing with your Mareface on your first hunter pace together! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I board with them now (: J and I have been in contact since I started riding/wanted to get into doing endurance though the timing wasn't quite right for a move until a couple months ago. I'm glad our first outing went so well too, this hopefully bodes well for us in the future :D

      Delete
  3. sounds like an awesome ride - and what a thrilling gallop!!! i love that feeling of just letting them go like that :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I can see why it is addicting to go that fast, all that power too!!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an awesome ride, and I love the photos. I clocked Ozzy racking at 23mph once. It was unreal. Smooth as glass, but so so fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a gorgeous day out; very glad Quest was behaving I could take pictures on the trail. And what a neat experience, racking at speed must have been a sight to see too!!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you have some outstanding endurance mentors to ride with. You and Quest will be prepped and ready for AERC events in no time at all. Sounds like a slow LD is well within your grasp already! Definitely a scary step to take, but you've just got to jump sometimes. Happy to hear y'all are doing so well and having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you say a slow LD haha I had every intention to ride Mustang Memorial with Quest next week BUT it's the same day/weekend as my birthday this year and my family already made plans. Unfortunate timing ):

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you guys had a blast! And good girl Quest for giving you a nice controlled gallop (my first experience galloping was my childhood pony running off with me lol) We attended our first hunter pace last weekend as well and loved it! Definitely good way to simulate a real endurance ride :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they fun! Glad to hear your hunter pace went well too- going to read your post now :D

      Delete